Keeping Healthy Habits While Living Off Your Retirement Budget
The prospect of aging can be very daunting and downright scary. But you can maintain a healthy lifestyle as a senior while living off your retirement budget. In home care is a solution for many seniors you need to consider after retirement. Here are some simple recommendations for seniors who want to maintain healthy and independent lifestyle as retirees. Healthy and affordable eating for seniors
It is a common misconception that healthy eating is expensive, but this is far the truth. Nutritious food is decently priced and it keeps you well fed while contributing to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Try the following tips to have more affordable healthy food for your fridge:
- Shop on sale/clearance days when everything is cheaper; you can send someone to do your groceries for you in case you cannot go to the store yourself. You can purchase all the necessary food for one week without spending a lot.
- Do not stay away from frozen foods. They are as healthy as fresh foods and are a good alternative. They can be kept in the freezer for a long time without going bad and you end up saving money.
- Seafood is important for any senior’s diet because it contains the healthy omega-3 fatty acids. However, you should not settle only for expensive fish; mackerel and sardines are great and their price is very convenient.
- Search for stores that offer seniors special discounts.
Do not forget to stay active
If you cannot go to the gym everyday you can maintain a healthy lifestyle by just walking once a day. This daily walk is not only good for your muscles but is also good for you mentally. Try to push yourself everyday to walk further and further. Set goals and try to exceed them.
Enlist your friends to go on walks together. By making this into a little social function, you will find it easier to maintain a healthy lifestyle together as you age.
There are community gyms that offer special rates for seniors. Of course, this will be more expensive than walking, which is completely free, but you can exercise better for only a fraction of the price you would have paid otherwise.
Search for affordable medicine
What is eating up most of seniors’ retirement funds is usually the expense represented by medications. One thing you can do to save on prescriptions is to ask your doctor if there are any generic drug alternatives that are cheaper than what was originally prescribed.
There are other ways of obtaining more affordable prescriptions that you may want to try:
- Get a drug store card. Usually, drug stores offer great discounts to their most loyal customers, so you can save on prescriptions this way.
- Do not load on nutritional supplements unless they are prescribed by your doctor. It is better to eat a balanced diet instead of trying to take the essential nutrients from these nutritional supplements.